Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sweating is good for the soul...and so is coffee

Lately I've been pretty up on my fitness, and I've decided a few things.

1. Long treadmill intervals suck, short ones are amazing.
Let me explain. In my One-More-Oreo circuit, there are 5 minute 30-second treadmill intervals. Full out sprinting for 30 seconds, then walking for 30 seconds. The time just flies by. You only feel like you're going to pass out for 30 seconds, then you're back to walking. Just as you get to the point where you say in your head, "I know if I go just five more seconds I'm definitely not making it out of this alive", you get to stop! How perfect is that? Long ones, on the other hand, might as well be the devil. I mean, I may not be the most in shape individual, but I'd say I'm getting there! However, intervals for more that 30 seconds are the death of me. I start panting, get in panic mode, and by that time I'm well past the point of "I'm not going to make it out of this alive".

2. Running up a hill (aka: incline) is harder than you think.
I tried to do this one work out where you ran for a minute then walked for a minute, but after each cycle the incline increased and so did the speed at which you ran up that incline. It. Was. Death. I didn't think it would be that hard, but man, I was dying about halfway through. To be honest (and I hate to admit it) I couldn't even finish it! I did about 17 out of the 30 minutes and it was a struggle towards the end. A really hard, painful struggle.


3. I love the way your legs burn the day after a workout.
I've been doing all of those squats and lunges and wall sits and various other leg workouts and the next day my legs kill me to just stand let alone walk up stairs. Even though it hurts so bad, it feels so good. That's how you know you did one hell of a workout, and better yet: you survived it.

4. Resting days are glorious but horrendous.
Everyone needs a resting day. At least that's what the boy told me. You have to give your muscles a day to chill out and get their energy back. I never really thought about this for some reason, but it makes a ton of sense. Working out every day is great, but when your muscles get so fatigued you won't get as good of a workout. Therefore: resting day. However, this resting day feels so great that you don't want to go back to the intense running escapades the day after! BUT! Success must prevail. So keep on keeping on after that day of rest (no matter how much it sucks).

5. Sweating is great. Embrace it.
So, being that I'm a girl, it's not really all that attractive to be sweating just as much as the guys. However, it's just in my nature to sweat. A lot. I am a sweater and proud of it. And if you have a problem with that, then maybe you should work a little harder at the gym. Granted, I can be sitting in the air conditioning and still sweat, but that's besides the point. I used to be really self conscious about my ability to sweat, but I've come to embrace it. Sweating is a sign that you worked hard. That you pushed yourself the your limits and reached new goals. It signifies strength, hard work, determination. Never underestimate the power of sweating. If you ask me, I'd say it's good for the soul.

    

6. Coffee makes me so happy. 
So, this part really has nothing to do with fitness. Well, actually, I do love having coffee about a half hour to an hour before hitting the gym. The caffeine gives me that extra boost and motivation. I feel a lot better if I have a cup of joe before getting my sweat on. To be honest, I feel a lot better whenever I have a cup of joe. Iced, hot, with milk, with half an half, black (well, not yet - but I'm getting there), whatever the case - I love it. It makes me happy and warms my soul. Literally. Having a bad day? Turn on that coffee pot (or Keurig) and enjoy the warmth and comfort of pure perfection.

   

On that note, I had some coffee earlier, yesterday was my day of rest, my legs still burn from Tuesday's workout, and I must get my butt back to the gym. What's on the agenda for the night? STARBUCKS! Hah. I'm addicted and it feels so good. 

Blake Shelton's new CD came out (as did Chris Young's) so look forward to a bunch of BS or CY songs coming your way (or don't look forward to it, you not country music fans).


Isn't he so handsome?? He's hysterical too. Follow him on Twitter please? @blakeshelton. Thanks. 

*All images from www.pinterest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment