Wednesday, January 4, 2012

SOOO not a distance runner

Let me start off by saying that I envy you. And by "you" I mean the people that can run at a decent pace for miles and miles without getting bored or out of breath. This is the complete opposite of what I can do. I run for about 5 minutes and I'm already itching to get off the treadmill. Then I'm onto the the next cardio machine for a limited time before I'm bored again. It's a vicious cycle. It really is.

Not only do I get bored, but I get out of breath relatively quickly! I was a gymnast forever, so it's all short sprints or getting your heart rate up quickly for a short amount of time then coming back down and recovering. Distance was never really my thing. However, now that I am no longer a gymnast, I'm really trying to train myself to become that distance runner I so desperately want to be. Will it ever actually happen? Debatable. It's a work in progress.

In order to try to combat my treadmill boredness, I've been trying out interval training. All of the changing the speeds/inclines and what not  seem to keep me more on my toes (for the most part). Plus, it gives me more of that quick high speed, low rest and recovery that gymnastics gave me. A little comfort never did anyone wrong, right? Eh, it works. I guess that won't reeeealllyyyy get me to that super-duper-marathon-runner status that I want. Like I said: work in progress.

Interval Pyramid Workout 
Today I did a 30 minute interval/pyramid workout. I really liked this one today. The speeds weren't terrible and it gave me a bit more of the running for a longer period of time (kind of...).

Minutes                    Speed
0-3                                 4
3-5                                 5
5-7                                 6
7-9                                 7
9-10                               8
10-13                             4
13-15                             5
15-17                             6
17-19                             7
19-21                             6
21-23                             5
23-25                             4
To wrap up my 30 minute treadmill workout, I did a 5 minute quick sprint, quick recovery interval that included running at 8.0 for 30 seconds then walking at 4.0 for 30 seconds. I ended with a 5 minute cool down after that.
Total miles: 3.0

See? 30 minutes to do 3 miles? I need to work on that.

Here was my favorite song from my workout today:

No comments:

Post a Comment